The Sustainable Life Center, which started its operations in January 2017 within the Refugee Support Center (Association), aims to support solving the problems and providing the needs of asylum seekers, migrants, refugees and individuals demanding international protection for people with disabilities and vulnerable groups living in and around Izmir.
The special needs of people with disabilities or vulnerable individuals are identified through communication based field studies and in-office services by field specialists and field workers together, then the necessary consultancy service is provided to the beneficiaries. In the supervision of psychologist and health educator, access to the needed psycho-social support and health services, extended guidance and case management are provided.
Case Management and Referral Mechanisms
The capacity of the project will be improved by developing an identification process of the individuals which would be operated by the team consisting of field workers, an interpreter and a driver and by providing access to multi-service centers. It is aimed to provide a healthier and sustainable environment for the beneficiaries by providing access to the services they need. Umutcan Sustainable Life Center, with its physical conditions suitable for people with disabilities; counseling rooms, psychological counseling room, disability support rooms and health training room which will be supported at the basic level offers services. With the services provided at the center, it is aimed to reduce the negative effects of disadvantageous living conditions of the beneficiaries and to help achieve social cohesion among community.
Communication-based networks are established in the field to identify the community leaders and vulnerable groups. Efforts are being made to raise awareness of vulnerable individuals, including people with disabilities. Supervision of these services is made through referrals among RSC, SGDD-ASAM, public authorities and other NGOs.
Psychosocial Support, Health and Rehabilitation Services
The disability support team, consisting of 4 field workers, 2 disability specialists, 1 psychologist and 1 health trainer, carries out the following activities:
• People with physical and mental disabilities are identified.
• Basic recommendations and simple level training on disability are given.
• Technical assistance evaluation is made, required assistance is provided and follow-up is ensured.
• Disability specialist and psychologist organize group or individual sessions as needed.
• Individuals who are identified as in need of psycho-social support are directed to the focus groups or to support centers provided by ASAM or public hospitals for individual services.
• If necessary, prosthesis and orthosis referrals are made.
• According to the complication of the situation, referrals to public hospitals or to advanced rehabilitation centers are provided.
• Beneficiaries are helped for pain management according to their special situations, for acceptance of disability status and the consequences of disability in daily life by disability specialists and psychologists. In addition, counseling services are given to individuals for psycho-social support.
• Health trainees enable counselors to benefit from hospital services based on their medical history. Disability specialists and field workers also assist to make referrals to services provided by public hospitals.
Within the scope of all these services, Umutcan Sustainable Life Center will be the first and only center for activities for refugees with disabilities.